[frgeek-michiana] Re: Netvista 2800 again..

  • From: Hermann Schaefer <info@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:42:53 +0100

Am 10.12.2004 um 00:23 schrieb Mike Cook:

Thankfully I have never come across the problem you are describing on any of the Netvistas we played with. The only thing I saw that sounds like your problem is this, from the IBM 2800 Reference Manual:
When you power on the NetVista thin client, the system LED shows a solid green color, or a flashing amber color, and the monitor does not display any screens. The software on the NetVista thin client may be damaged. Contact IBM Service and Support, and refer to “Appendix D. Recovering the boot block image” on page 53 for information on recovering the software on the NetVista thin client.

I alreday solved this problem. Seems that the WSOD-BIOS part was totally screwed up or simply wiped out or whatever. The trick was:
The device had BIOS from 2000. I flashed it with 2001 - no luck. Flashed it with 2002 - no luck, but WSOD wasn't present at all - at least, the device rebooted into net-BIOS all the time without giving any errors. So i decided to flash back to 2001 and voila: WSOD-BIOS works now.
Strange, and took me 1 week to figure this out. I installed the Turbolinux-Edition to flash/update the device on a NT4-server.

It now boots ipcop 1.4.1 without problems from an external IDE-drive. My next goal is to flashboot the root-fs and to use an IDE-2,5" for /var
The device accepts 256MB CF-cards from Traxdata, so there's plenty of room for a tiny little firewall :)
Too bad that it doesn't like booting from CD.. :/ You have to installed the OS somewhere else and hope that you included all drivers.. ^^ NT4 boots out of the box, Win98 needs drivers, debian (older sid) had a kernel panic but should work somehow.

As for the connectors, the one labeled BOOTBLK allows you to recover the bootblock image (bios) (see Appendix D. Recovering the boot block image in the 2800 reference manual)

Didn't work for me, I tested it without knowing what this jumper is for.. ;) The hardware-manual is paper only from IBM - do you have a PDF?

The 4 pin connector near the ide connector is power for a hard drive (not sure of the pinout but the mating connector is a Molex 43025-0400)

12V + 5V + ground + ground - no idea how many A will be there, the layer is quite thin. But a 2,5" should work.

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.

Will test with ipcop "in production" as soon as I get a smaller 2,5"-IDE. The BIOS seems to have problems with devices > 8GB. But I think the machine will work fine now. The 266 CPU is enough for a firewall with some VPN-connections :)
The 2800 is nice because you can attach 2 more PCI-cards - so you can use it with DMZ-nic or WLAN or simular. They sell these machines on eBay for less than 40$. Still need a good place for the 2,5"...

greets, Hermann

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>