[frgeek-michiana] Re: Microsoft's training materials teach Best Buy employees how to trash Linux

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 18:58:02 -0400

The only one of these that I have used is Kopete for basic AOL chat, so I can't
vouch for compatibility or ease of setup/use, but here are some alternatives...

  - aMSN (http://www.amsn-project.net/index.php) has video chat capabilities
with windows live messenger users.

  - Ekiga (http://ekiga.org/, formerly GnomeMeeting) has standards based video
chat not compatible with windows live messenger users.

  - Kopete (http://kopete.kde.org/) is reported to have microsoft and yahoo
video chat capabilities.

Also, it isn't open source or open protocol, but I have successfully viewed a
video call in skype for linux. I didn't have a camera to see how well it worked
in the other direction.

Tony