[frgeek-michiana] MINUTES (DRAFT) OF AUGUST, 2009, BOARD/COUNCIL MEETING

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:51:15 -0400

Please comment.

(DRAFT) BOARD/COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Present: Michael Cook, Richard Zimmerman, Thomas Brown, Imre Brassai.

Recorded by Tom.

I. Call to Order

Tom called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.

II. Officer Reports

Mike forgot to bring the accounting reports, but he said our funds have changed little since last month.

Tom gave a recap of recent activity regarding finding a new building and packing to leave our current facility which is simply a repeat of what he has posted to the public mailing list so it won't be included here.

III. Mike's Visit to Bridges to Digital Excellence

http://www.pointclickachieve.org/main.html

BDE (Bridges to Digital Excellence) invited a representative from FGM to visit with the principals at BDE. Mike was elected to represent us at the meeting.

BDE is a 501c3 nonprofit which is funded by grants, contracts with the State of Michigan and the support of several large corporations including Whirlpool. BDE has three basic programs: Computers in the Home, Senior Net and Job Empowerment. Computers in the Home distributes free computers (min. P3/800) to families which have no computer in their home. Senior Net teaches seniors to use computers and is conducted with the support of Agency on Aging. Job Empowerment offers a 5 week basic class centered on MS XP and MS Office and a 3 week advanced class (database and web development) also based on MS products. BDE is considering or planning to offer IT support to other nonprofits. BDE is also considering or planning an e-recycling and e-reuse program.

The primary difference between FGM and BDE is our respective choices for software. BDE has a strong, nearly exclusive, preference for Microsoft products whereas FGM has a strong, nearly exclusive, preference for FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).

BDE adminstrators are offering computers, some storage space and fundraising help to us. In return, they would like to combine e-recycling and e-reuse programs to achieve better revenue with an economy of scale. BDE may be considering extending their programs into the South Bend area at some time in the future.

BDE administrators want to visit us and will call me (Tom) to confirm the visit.

IV. 501c3 Update

According to the staff at Bridges to Digital Excellence, they filed a 501c3 application in April of this year and received approval 2-3 months later. Imre and Tom will meet Saturday, August 29, to review drafts of the narrative report for our 501c3 application and write a final draft. The narrative report is the last step prior to submitting the application to our pro bono attorney for review.

V. Adjournment

The library now closes at 8:00 PM so we adjourned the meeting at 7:50 PM.

VII. Next Meeting

The next meeting will be 6:30 PM, September 29, 2009, at the St. Joseph County Public Library. Tom will reserve a room and announce the meeting as soon as the room reservation is confirmed by the library.

###