[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes - 2007/01/02

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 14:37:09 -0500

Tom Brown wrote:
:: USB vs. Floppy

The consensus is to pursue usb pen drives. Rick has a friend at IUSB who he can consult re the university's policy re students using usb drives. I will contact the South Bend Community School Corp re their policy on students and usb drives. Goose will contact IVYTech re their policy.

  Email sent. Awaiting Reply.

:: Sqlite Applications

Goose is keen to migrate the volunteer database from Postgresql to Sqlite. He and I looked at the Tcl code to anticipate problems.

I talked to Liz F., the social services director at the Sally. She is arranging a meeting with herself, Capt. Jody, Goose and me to discuss coding a web app for one of their social services: food basket drive or family adoption. We'll probably use Sqlite for the backend db. The meeting will be next week at the earliest.

I don't know if keen is the word but definitely better if we get on the same sheet of music if you will...

:: Distro Evaluation

Here is our draft FreeBox distro evaluation survey. If you have other issues you'd like to see addressed in distro evaluations, please post them on the list. We also need to prioritize the survey items. If you have time to rank them, please do so and post to the list.

- automounting external media (usb drives, cameras, etc)
5
- codecs for multi-media (music, games, movies)
4
- boot time
1
- install footprint (drive space used)
1
- memory requirements
3
- package management system
5
- number of packages available
3
- usability
4
- support load on FGM volunteers
5
- training difficulty/ease
3
- update ease and cycles
4
- dialup capability
5

:: Preliminary Edubuntu Evaluation

Preliminary examination reveals the following:

* Edubutu, and probably Ubuntu, is sensitive to hard drive bottlenecks and more so than lighter weight distros like Puppy, DSL and Vector. Our test unit has a 33 MHz bus so boot was slow. After boot, the system was responsive. The test unit is an iMac with a Power PC cpu.

* If the user is in the admin group, Edubuntu will automount usb pen drives. Otherwise, Edubuntu will recognize the drive but not mount it.

* Since Goose put the system together several weeks ago, there are 128 or so updates available. This is an extraordinary number of updates for a n00b oriented system. But this version of Edubuntu is the testing version based on Debian Etch, not the more stable long term support (LTS) version. Frequency and size of updates will be issues with dialup connections.

err... 67 updates for 122mb... A WHILE on a dialup connection.

:: Dell PowerEdge 2500 Servers

John/Forest brought two decommissioned servers, donated by his company, to the lab. Goose and I snapped them up to take home and play with.

- (2) P3 1GHz cpus
- (3) power supplies
- (3) 10k rpm 80 MB scsi drives with Adaptec RAID controller
- (4) case fans
- the usual ports in a tower case
You forgot one minor detail.. H-E-A-V-Y! Mine sit in a corner til I get the virtualization learning out of the way.

  Goose