[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes 10/24/06

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:22:59 -0500

:: Lab Clean Up Done

John dropped the pickup truck off at my office before lab since he would be indisposed most of the evening.

Goose, Albert and I finished the clean up at the lab. We filled two more gaylords and took them to the warehouse. There are minor odds and ends to deal with at the lab. Otherwise, it is neat and clean. The floor is vacuumed.

John showed up at the warehouse as we finished. We ran the truck back to his office.

:: Printer Night at Warehouse Thursday

The plan is to sort gaylords so we can send at least one skid of material to our other-than-steel recycler this week or next. There is one gaylord of bad monitors for sure. We think there may be a skid full of dot matrix and other printers sprinkled throughout the inventory. Goose is going to recruit several friends to help dig through the inventory and pull out printers.

:: Online Volunteer Log Application

Late last week, I discovered the online app wouldn't log transactions. Goose and I looked at the code and found the problem. Goose will correct the code asap.

I encourage everyone to make a note of time spent helping Free Geek and add it to the log. If you don't have a login, contact Goose. Statistics from the log will be invaluable in managing FGM, marketing and applying for grants and other types of support.

:: Big Changes at the Sallie

There are recent changes at the Sallie which effects us. Albert, Goose and I talked to Captain Jodie. She was working late.

Security issues.
There have been at least 3 attempts to break-in the church in the last 2 months.

Funding issues.
The United Way has virtually stopped support for all but 3-4 programs in St. Joseph County. As a result, the Sallie has lost all its program funding except for one, and that program was cut either 50% or 75%. FGM survives because we wisely chose not to depend on grants to operate.

Sexual issues.
The Salvation Army nationwide now requires every adult who comes in contact with children in their churches, sponsored programs and events (even church services) to pass a child molester database screen. This includes us.

Holiday food basket drive.
We told Jodie our online volunteer app is running in beta. We are sufficiently confident in the technology to gather information from responsible persons in the annual holiday food basket drive in order to modify a version of the app for the Sallie's use.

More about these issues at the board meeting Saturday.

:: Board Meeting

Goose is the only person who requested the board meeting begin at a time other than 2:00 PM. He was mostly joshing. So, 2:00 PM it is. Let's look forward to a productive planning meeting and fun at Barnaby's as we appreciate each other for volunteering.

###

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>