[frgeek-michiana] FGMLUG meeting - EVO and Projector

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:22:52 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I also included a rtf version if this makes your eyes bleed. Let me know if I
missed anything.

Using the projector and playing video
using Vector Linux and a Compaq evo N600c Laptop.

To play video on the projector we need 2 programs: xrandr and xvattr
xrandr is included with VL; xvattr is not.

Installing xvattr with checkinstall.

Install checkinstall from the VL repository with the VL package manager.
Download xvattr-1.3.tar.gz from http://freshmeat.net/projects/xvattr/ to your
home directory.
Open a x terminal session and do the following:

$ tar xvzf xvattr-1.3.tar.gz
$ cd xvattr-1.3
$ ./configure
$ make
$ su
Password:
# checkinstall

There is no package documentation directory (./doc-pak)
Do you want to continue this way [Y/N]? y

<blah blah blah>

--more--

<press the space bar after each screen until you get prompted with the next
question>

<blah blah blah>

Searching for symbolic links:

No symbolic links were found, so we won't make a installation script.
You can make your own later ./install/doinst.sh and rebuild the
package if you like.

This next step is optional - <blah blah blah>

Would you like to reset all directory permissions to 755 (drwxr-xr-x) and
directory ownerships to root.root ([y]es, [n]o)?" n

<blah blah blah>

Checkinstall makes the package and also installs it. It leaves the Slackware
package at the top level directory of the application you are compiling.

$ su
Password:
# xrandr

This will output a list of the devices available and their status

# xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768

This turns on the vga output.

At this point the desktop should be displayed on both the laptop and the
projector. Video will only play on the laptop screen and will not display on
the projector.

# xvattr

This lists the available attributes for the xv overlay.

# xvattr -a XV_CRTC -v 1

This switches the xv overlay to screen 1 (the ext vga)

At this point any video will display on the projector and not display on the
laptop screen.

# xvattr -a XV_CRTC -v 0

Changes xv overlay back to laptop display.

Another option to xvattr for displaying video:

Change the video driver on your media player to opengl.

Advantage: Plays on both monitors at once.

Disadvantage: Uses much more CPU time, may drop frames.