[frgeek-michiana] Donation questions

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:48:12 -0500

I have several boxes (Dell) at work that we are getting rid of that are mostly
in good condition. I've got a workbench set up to get them pre-loaded and
updated before I bring them in. I've made considerable progress on a network
installation server. I'll write up the details of that later when I have more
time.
A few of the boxes I have here are missing network cards. Others need video
cards either because of no onboard video, or an old Intel i810 chipset which is
more trouble than it's worth to try to get working. Is it alright if I borrowed
some nics and video adapters from the warehouse to complete these boxes before
I brought them in?
Also, are we downgrading any machines that are to be freeboxes? I think several
have 512Mb of RAM. I didn't know if I should pull some or just leave it all in.
I also wasn't sure if I should pull hard drives to swap out with smaller ones.
They aren't huge. I think most are in the 20-40GB range, but there might be an
80GB or two somewhere in the mix.
Tony