[frgeek-michiana] Re: Disk Drive Secure Erase

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 11:05:47 -0400

We can't retire DBAN just yet. But, we should give CMMR a test drive next Tuesday.

From the CMMR README file:

"Notes
HDDerase.exe tests whether a drive is new enough to support the ATA Security Feature Set in the ATA rev 6 spec. If so (drives larger than about 15 to 20 GB), the secure erase option will be available. ATA drives more than several years old (generally smaller than 15GB) will
not support the ATA Security Feature Set."

and

"Q:  Can hdderase.exe be used to erase my SCSI drive?
A: No. Hdderase.exe is intended to be used only on SATA/ATA drives and will not work with SCSI drives. There is at least one commercial company (http://www.deadondemand.com/ or http://ensconcedata.com) making "data shredder" machines offering data erasure of any drive,
including SCSI."

Tom

Mike Cook wrote:
Interesting article:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129&tag=nl.e539

Referenced in article (If you want to cut to the chase):
http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/Hughes/SecureErase.html

** This list is PUBLICLY archived. **
PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.