[frgeek-michiana] DSL in lab

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:17:04 -0500

I talked briefly with Capt. Nick. Here's the deal.

The DSL line terminates at the telco block in the maintenance room next to the lab. There is a modem and a router installed. We have to make sure our server plays nice with the router and possible DHCP.

Only two of the church's boxes are using DSL. Nick says a women is scheduled to look at the other boxes next week to determine whether the other systems need to be upgraded to use DSL. Not sure what that's about unless the other computers have no NICs. We have 60+ Ethernet NICs in storage upstairs. Nick's on vacation so I didn't press him about it.

Nick thinks the DSL service is 3 Mbps incoming and 784 Kbps outgoing. We need to install the CDRW burner in the server next lab and set up the routing. This is an opportunity to teach new tech volunteers about system and network admin. Anybody want to teach?