[frgeek-michiana] Board meeting Saturday

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:39:04 -0500

:: No Quorum

Unfortunately, we didn't have a quorum of board members. Our board has too many inactive members. Why they are inactive will be the subject of a review and interviews by the board officers (Mike, Goose and me) who did attend the meeting. We found out that at least one of our board members is not subscribed to our listserv.

Clearly, in preparing for the board meeting, I depended too much on email. Phone calls and personal invitations to the meeting would probably have worked better. Another problem is the board only meets formally once per year. The active board members meet informally almost weekly at the lab and warehouse. If board members are not also active volunteers, they are pretty much out of it. This needs fixing.

:: Advisory Meeting

There was a good turn out of volunteers plus the three board officers so we held an advisory meeting. We discussed the topics on the agenda for the board meeting. The discussions were productive, and the advisory group has definite recommendations for the board.

:: Recording of Meeting

Goose and I recorded the meeting. Goose used a .wav recorder several times the size of a thumb drive, but still tiny. I used a traditional shirt pocket size recorder and standard tape cassettes. Goose has already converted his recording to mp3. I may not convert mine if Goose's recording is good enough quality to use. The mp3 file is about 140 MB.

This Tuesday we will attempt to edit the recording at the lab using our monster server, way overkill for audio editing. We're not even certain it has an audio card. Later, we will decide whether to put an edited recording of the meeting on our web site.

:: Barnaby's

We had good time at Barnaby's. I encourage all of you to attend the next Volunteer Appreciation Dinner.

###