[freeroleplay] Re: Roles?

  • From: Troy joseph Truchon <capheind@xxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:24:21 -0700

On Friday 16 July 2004 8:12 am, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> Troy joseph Truchon wrote:
> > But characters in different genres shouldn't necessarily be equal. A
> > better alternative is to require characters to buy certain skills
> > relevant to their time an place, a villager in the 1400's would have
> > fewer intellectual skills, and would generally have inferior levels in
> > many skills due to poor education, but would definitely know more about
> > basic survival than myself, a suburban college student.
>
> I think I agree with those of you who don't see the 'Genre Balance
> Problem' as, well, a problem. Ignore the difference is definately my
> approach.
>
> On a side note, I would argue that in general skill levels would higher
> in a contemporary Western setting, including skills such as survival. I
> argue this because of the widespread availability of education and
> learning on all kinds of subjects. If a person wants to learn survival
> in a pre-literate era he has to apprentice and dedicate a lot more
> resources (time, money, etc). In the modern era it is merely a case of
> going to you nearest library or taking a survival course.
>
> Hmm... am I correct in this assumption or does that seem silly? Thoughts?
>
> Kind regards...

Well modern characters could simply have more character points (or whatever
you wish to use) to start with. A possible system for character generation
would be to break up character generation into several points, a sample would
be wealth, lifestyle, education, role, physical abilities, and then the
player would purchase levels of these with character points, as well as using
them for some kind of edge/flaw system or whatever else you want. The GM
could adjust the costs and availability to suit his setting. this idea does
borrow somewhat from the optional point based system in shadowrun.

--
-Troy Joseph Truchon