[freeroleplay] Re: Roles?

  • From: Troy joseph Truchon <capheind@xxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:05:50 -0700

> >>Actually, I am having a slight design problem with Roles at the moment.
> >>Because Roles mean that character creation for different genres is
> >>different, the 'cost' of skills and Roles do not compare. For example,
> >>in a medieval fantasy setting skills are much harder to come by due to
> >>poor education, and therefore are more expensive: to obtain a skill you
> >>have to purchase an 'access role' or profession to access certain
> >>skills. This effectively increases the price of a skill.
> >
> > It actually does make sense that characters in more "primitive" settings
> > are less capable as far as training is considered. Leonardo Di'Vinci was
> > probably vastly more inventive than I, but I have the advantage of a free
> > long term education and all the advancement between his time and mine.
>
> True, I'm going more with the 'ignore the difference' option. My only
> concern is that it then breaks the 'balance' between characters from
> different genres.

But characters in different genres shouldn't necessarily be equal. A better
alternative is to require characters to buy certain skills relevant to their
time an place, a villager in the 1400's would have fewer intellectual skills,
and would generally have inferior levels in many skills due to poor
education, but would definitely know more about basic survival than myself, a
suburban college student.
--
-Troy Joseph Truchon