[freeroleplay] Re: Lovecraft

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:29:29 +0000

Samuel Penn wrote:
> Ricardo Gladwell said:
> I'm currently working on some insanity rules for Yags, to be
> used with the magic system. The idea is, use of magic brings
> you closer to the dream world, reducing your effectiveness in
> the real world.

It's a great idea: I really like it. Is this Habisfern-specific or can
it apply in the generic case? How would you translate the various
cosmological details to other game worlds?

> Insanity gives a bonus to magic use (so it's beneficial in
> some respects), but also gives personality traits and
> physical problems (such as your nightmares starting to have
> a real affect on you and those around you).

This sounds similar to the rules for resonance in Mage: The Ascension
which I always thought were really cool, much better than the
contradictory rules for Paradox.

> The current idea is for two paths to insanity - extrovert
> and introvert. The first gives traits which are related to
> being an aggressive egomaniac, the other traits related to
> paranoid depression. Initially, traits from both paths may
> be gained,  but gradually one will come to dominate.  The
> aim is to give some logic to the descent into insanity.

Would the two types of insanity correspond with two dream worlds and two
different types of magic?

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell