[freeroleplay] Re: Lovecraft

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:19:27 +0000

Edward Terry wrote:
>>I think there are really three factors that cause sanity loss:
>>
>>1. Fear - I think we can all agree on this one: raw, naked fear drives
>>you insane.
>>
>>2. Horror - What is "horrific" is debatable and varies widely from
>>person to person, which is perhaps where the original question arises.
>>
>>3. Corruption - or pure insanity. The diabolic atmosphere of the Old ones.
>
> That makes sense.  I think alienness would be more important than these
> three factors, though.

Quite right: the third factor should actually be "alien-ness". That is,
the mind warping effects of encountering something truly beyond the
human experience.

>  It would require a pretty high level of fear, or
> frequent exposure, for you to begin losing sanity points; this should be
> pretty unusual unless you run into Old Ones on a regular basis, or are
> in intense combat over an extended period of time, or something similar.

One could tweak each factor so that one is more or less likely to cause
sanity loss.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to come up with sanity rules for Fringe.

I think the above rules would make a great addition to the rules for
FRINGE: Horror. I don't think they work in the general case (i.e. they
don't really model true mental illness) but for a game of progressive
and cyclical insanity in the face of such horror, they're a great idea.

Actually, I was thinking of implementing rules for insanity as
personality traits: i.e. rather than penalising the character's for
having an insanity, they have a personality trait they role-play. Not
sure of the specifics, because the specifics for personality traits in
FRINGE are still up in the air.

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell