[freeroleplay] Re: Free wargames?

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:09:04 +0100

On Saturday 23 July 2005 12:34, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> > Whatever I do will be based around vectored movement, with real
> > reaction drives (I came up with a game mechanic ~10 years ago
> > which allows you to work out the changing mass and therefore
> > acceleration of the ship as fuel is used - and it's playable
> > (though requires some log calculations during ship design)).
>
> Sounds good. Did you ever publish them as free content?

That was back before I had a website, and probably before I really
knew about the GPL etc. They're not in useful formats, so it's
going to be a re-write before they see the light of day.

> > ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence) will feature quite a bit, as will
> > command and control functions.
>
> Any ideas how this might work?

Depends on the implementation of the combat system. For my
Full Thrust modifications, sensors reduce the effective range to
the target, and stealth/jamming etc increase the effective range.

C&C have the same effect (modelling the sharing of sensor information
and coordinating fire to increase the effectiveness of weapons).

I really like the initiative rules in "Wargods of Aegyptus"[1], so I
might use some modification of that as well.

Basically, each general secretly notes basic commands for each of
their units (move forward, charge, retreat, stand and shoot etc).
Generals then take it in turns to activate units, though whoever
gets the initiative may get to activate several units before the
enemy gets to make their first activation.

Now, the interesting thing is, a commander can active an enemy
unit, forcing the enemy commander to move that unit. So, if you're
forced to activate a unit which was going to shoot once the enemy
comes within range, you may have to shoot when there is no enemy
in range (or when the wrong target is in range).

[1] http://www.crocodilegames.com/warbands.asp - it's a fantasy
wargame set in a version of Egypt. Quite interesting, at least
until the point I saw the price of their figures!

--
Sam.                                      http://www.glendale.org.uk/