[freeroleplay] Re: Free wargames?

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:35:58 +0100

On Monday 18 July 2005 18:09, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > On Mon, July 18, 2005 10:25, Ricardo Gladwell said:
> >>Unfortunately, there is a distinct lack of free content wargames out
> >>there, otherwise I'm sure I would have them listed here. A quick Google
> >>doesn't seem to turn up much either: a good idea for a new free-content
> >>project, perhaps?
> >
> > I was hoping to avoid doing one from scratch... but I do have
> > some ideas.
>
> That would be interesting: come on, don't be shy here. What sort of
> ideas do you have? :)

Mostly I've been thinking about a space combat system, something that
can handle a wide range of scales. Full Thrust is good, but it only
really works up to a few hundred mass (a fighter is mass 1, all the
official ship designs are < 400 mass). On the same sort of scale,
things like Star Wars and Babylon 5 ships really need six or seven
digit masses to do them justice.

You can change the scale from game to game, but that doesn't allow
you to mix big and small ships in the same battle.

Whatever I do will be based around vectored movement, with real
reaction drives (I came up with a game mechanic ~10 years ago
which allows you to work out the changing mass and therefore
acceleration of the ship as fuel is used - and it's playable
(though requires some log calculations during ship design)).

ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence) will feature quite a bit, as will
command and control functions.

It also needs to be usable in an RPG setting - so there needs to
be some factor which allows for PC skill, without increasing
complexity - I want an FT level of complexity rather than SFB or
B5Wars.

Currently I'm trying to work out how to scale weaponry - scaling
damage is easy, but still not sure how to scale weapon ranges.

--
Sam.                                      http://www.glendale.org.uk/