[freeroleplay] Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cc-licenses@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:12:33 +0000

To Whom It May Concern,

I'm writing on behalf of the Free Roleplaying Community, an organisation
dedicated to free content advocacy in the pen-and-paper roleplaying
industry. We're currently reviewing the CCPL to acertain whether it is
"free" as we define it:

http://www.freeroleplay.org/faq.php#FreeContent

The BA-SA CCPL allows a user "to create and reproduce Derivative Works".
I also note in section 4 ("Restrictions") the following requirement is made:

"You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control
access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of
this License Agreement."

I'm interested in what types of "technological measures" this covers.
For example, would it be illegal to distribute the work in a proprietary
format that would, for example, require expensive software to edit? Does
the CCPL itself in anyway require a modifiable version be made
available, similar to the source code clause in the GPL?

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community