[freeroleplay] Re: Cache of World of Zaener

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:53:26 +0100

Samuel Penn wrote:
> Ricardo Gladwell said:
>>1. External Archiving Platform - System for periodical automated achiving
>>of externally hosted free RPG content.
>
> Would it be worth supporting non-Free (but free) games as well for
> this? That would provide a resource for a much larger pool of games,
> which would get more publicity, and maybe we could use it to convince
> people to move to a Free license (though most people probably use
> MS Word these days, which would fall foul of the transparent format
> clause).

The ony problem with publishing non-free games is that they tend to be
copyrighted normally and, as such, as restrictive about republishing. If
authors assent then it would be fine to republish. However, the are other
problems: what if author's have illegally copied the original work, in
which case we are also infringing by republishing. At least most free
content licenses protect us from this.

There are other associated issues: the FRPGC is, after all, primarily about
free roleplaying content advocacy. Also, chances are, we would be swamped
by d20 material and I think the last thing we want to become is another d20
clearing house.

That said, I see your point that if such a function proved to be popular it
could be very good for the FRPGC.

>>4. libRPG - A library that abstracts roleplaying system rule-sets
>
> I don't think this is worth doing until you need it. It's not
> straightforward, and you're tying yourself to a language library
> which restricts the usefulness of it.

I agree, it's not something I would look at doing immediately: i think the
other three projects are far more useful to us now.

>>Samuel Penn wrote:
> I've thought about an application which takes an XML format, and
> gives a WYSIWYG word processor like interface to it. It would be
> able to handle things like Yagsbook or Docbook, and could be
> extended to support any other XML format.
>
> It probably wouldn't be that easy though.

Actually, I've been doing some thinking on this and this is what I've come
up with: a central WebDAV/SOAP content versioning repository that stores
documents in a format-neutral XML content language (such as in your
Yagsbook project). It would then be simple to write a Java/C++ addon for
OpenOffice which would then access the XML from the central repository and
insert directly into a OpenOffice document for formatting/layout and to
export to other formats, such as MS Word and PDF. Editing and saving the
stored content in OpenOffice would then update the content in the repository.

> The scroller is on the top right of the screen:
> http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/desktop.jpg

Funky desktop :)

> btw, I don't suppose anyone has seen a general RSS news ticker
> that works on MS Windows? The BBC and Reuters have non-RSS proprietry
> ones, and they're two a penny on Linux/UNIX, but I've never seen
> a scrolling RSS viewer on Windows (they all seem to be browser
> based).

I searched Freshmeat and the best thing I could come up with is this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rssview/

Good idea for a new open source project. Perhaps someone could convert the
code from a Linux-based one to compile multi-platform?

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community