[freeroleplay] Re: Cache of World of Zaener

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 16:59:39 +0100

Samuel Penn wrote:
> It does mean I should
> be able to put up more stuff on my site, since I'll have a static
> IP and my own hostname.

Cool

> I already do mailing lists and webdav for my own use, though the
> latter is only via an IP address. We've found mailing lists to
> be useful for keeping track of game sessions, both for in game
> discussion and also more practical issues such as who's not going
> to able to make the game, and what we're going to be eating (though
> the latter is now handled via a Wiki!).

What you eat handled by a Wiki! Cool :)

>>I alaso though that some sort of web-based documentation system, like
>>Sourceforge, but for documents and written content. Something like a wiki.
>
> My argument against a Wiki is that it doesn't translate to printed
> content very well. Weren't you trying to get Wiki->Printed working?
> Did you manage it?

Yeah, it wasn't too tricky... I created a collation pages plugin for my
wiki engine that takes an index page of links to other pages and
concatenates and dislpays all the pages into one large meta-page. I then
just save as HTML and open in OpenOffice. It is then just a matter of doing
a bit of tidying up and exporting to PDF to create a final version. It
still has a few teething problems but it works.

> I think WebDAV is more generally useful for such things, but that's
> personal preference (and WebDAV isn't as obvious). Is it possible
> to put embedded links to webdav content that is generically usable?
> I know KDE supports webdav:// for any URL, but I don't think IE or
> Mozilla supports this.

Sorry, I don't know. I have to admit, I'm not entirely certain what WebDAV
is? Could you explain?

> Another option springs to mind is that of RSS feeds. I've got one,
> though I don't think anyone uses it :-( I did have the FRINGE one
> on my news ticker at some point, but I think it got lost during
> my last upgrade.

Cool, didn't realise anyone was using the FRINGE Wiki RSS feed for
anything. Spidering the content and then displaying updates to an RSS feed
would be pretty cool: it would be a Free RPG RSS update feed like they have
for blogs. Brilliant.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community