[freeroleplay] Re: Advantages

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:03:10 +0100

Ads/disads is something I'm going over for Yags at the moment.
I've decided to try and simplify things by removing a lot of the
advantages that did exist. I've actually removed all the
personality based ones, since I've never been particularly happy
with them.

I'm trying to limit things to game mechanics. If a character has
a flaw, then it can be represented by a game mechanic rather than
the player having to roleplay it. Forcing players to roleplay
a particular disadvantage has the problem of what to do if they
fail to roleplay it, and also if their interpretation is different
to the GMs, or their character has a reason to change it over
time. All solvable, but I'd prefer not to have to think about it.

It also prevents the issue of players creating characters which
have too many social problems to work well with the rest of the
group.

A lot of my background ones will be campaign specific, but I'm
trying to limit them to events which have happened in the past.
If enemies are defeated, or allies lost, then there is no
concept of having to 'buy them off' with character points later
on.

http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/games/yags/core/advantages.html

Something I'm also toying with is to allow players to choose their
character's social class. This removes it from being an advantage
(something I always had it as before), so not all characters are
created equal, but I don't think that is much of a problem.

--
Sam.                                         http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/