[freeroleplay] A more generic free software definition

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Roleplaying Community <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:26:17 +0100

Reviewing the four free software freedoms I came up with the following analogue to the free software definition that is more generic and applies to all works:

1. The freedom to use the work, for any purpose.
2. The freedom to study the work, and adapt it to your needs. Access to an modifiable copy of the work is a precondition for this.
3. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbours.
4. The freedom to modify the work, and release your own modifications or supplementary material to the public, so that the whole community benefits. Access to a modifiable copy of the work is a precondition for this.

To begin with, I'm not certain the freedom 1 is really analogous to the free software freedom ("The freedom to run the program, for any purpose"). I am considering removing "our" version of the free software definition from the site and merely linking to the free software definition page with the proviso we believe the freedoms should apply to all works and not just software.

Your kind thoughts, comments and criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The transfer of hosting to our new server and upgrade of the FRPGC web site continues apace. Hopefully we should have switched to the new server by the weekend. Next week I hope to have another version of the site up and running for review. I would also note I'm planning on changing our name to the "Free RPG Community".

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community