[freeroleplay] Re: A more generic free software definition

  • From: Edward Terry <eterry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 13:03:31 -0400

P.S. The transfer of hosting to our new server and upgrade of the FRPGC web site continues apace. Hopefully we should have switched to the new server by the weekend. Next week I hope to have another version of the site up and running for review. I would also note I'm planning on changing our name to the "Free RPG Community".

Kind regards...

Will http://www.freeroleplay.org be the primary address? If so, it seems like "Free Roleplaying Community" would make it easier for people to remember the website.

Actually, we don't limit ourselves to role-playing games, do we? I've always thought a good simulation game should scale up and down, to function as a role-playing game or skirmish wargame (1:1 scale), a tactical wargame (1:10 or 1:100), an operational or strategic wargame (1:1000 or better), a grand-strategy wargame (focusing on wars and theaters rather than battles), and a nation-simulation game (in which players rule nations).

Not that my RPG does all that yet (it isn't even a complete RPG yet), but my goal is for it to eventually become a fully scalable simulation game.

Wikipedia has some good articles on different types of simulation games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_game

By the way, here's a site with listings of free-as-in-beer wargames.

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/

I don't know whether any of these are free-as-in-speech.

Edward