[freelists-users] network and mail issues

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:24:34 -0500

If no one's noticed lately, we've been having some network utilization
issues.  I believe I've solved the problem, so no worries. :)

The problem is that the mail server has absolutely no trouble filling
the pipe as soon as mail hits any particular mailing list, and ping times
had gotten really bad: over 12,000ms (that's absurd) just pinging my
gateway.  The result is that FreeLists (or its network) basically appears
to have gone down for the duration of the mailing spree.  Obviously, this
isn't acceptable.

To solve this issue, I've throttled the mail server back to not thread so
many emails out at once, thus keeping utilization down quite a bit.  I've
been watching it, and speed still seems reasonable, and the network
doesn't get saturated.

How does this affect you?  Well, there's a good side and a bad side:

Bad: This *might* slow down delivery of mail to your list.  It probably
will be in the range of 1-2 minutes slower, if at all.  Since the network
is more responsive though, mail may actually go through *faster*.  Please
let me know if you suddenly start getting big delays-- I can play with the
mail server settings some more.

Good: Because the network isn't saturated, the website will still be
accessible (always nice, right?), and mail will still actually get through
to the server while it's processing other lists' requests.  That's
important.

Again, if anyone has any questions or comments regarding speed, quality of
service, etc., please don't hesitate to send them my way.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# UNIX Systems Engineer, Ivy Tech State College