[freelists-users] Re: Some list behaviorial oddities...

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:15:10 -0500 (EST)

> First, I noticed that while my messages do get through to the list, they can
> take up to 12 or more hours before I get the "echo". In fact, I left myself
> set with the ccerror flag, and I end up getting my messages through bounces
> much before I get the actual message. And this not only happens for my own
> messages but also, apparently, for all others. Which can quickly get quite
> confusing. I'm wondering if this is something that can be fixed? The delay
> between the time of posting and the time of reception just seems extremely
> odd, especially considering that I do get the "bounced versions" almost
> instantaneously, and that the messages instantly appear in the archives.

There is no reason for it to take 12 hours for you to get your posts, in
fact, you should get them right away.  The only thing that I can think of
is that your ISP reduces the priority of "bulk" mail and delays its
delivery, but I can't imagine why they'd do that anyway.  As for how long
it actually takes to get email out of *our* queue: freelists-users, a list
of a good majority of list owners, takes less than a minute to be
delivered.  Once the mail leaves the queue, there's nothing more we can
do.

We can look through the mail logs if you'd like: mail me off-list with
your list name and I'll compare the archives with what's in the logs.

> Second, I've set my list so that unsubscription requests should be caught by
> the server and _not_ get posted to the list. I thought that was a neat
> feature... except, it doesn't seem to be working. I've already caught 3
> cases of such requests that _did_ make it through to the list. Any idea
> what's wrong?

I'm assuming you're using the admin-regexp stufF?  The thing about a
regular expression is that it's pretty easy for a user to circumvent it
by just changing the wording of his message.  Honestly, the only
reliable way to  keep dumb users from posting requests to the post address
is to make the list moderated. :(

John