[freelists-users] Re: Showing sender's email address

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:31:09 -0500

On Tuesday 12 December 2000 14:22, you wrote:
> > OTOH, doesn't this mean that just about anyone from the general public
> > could access archives of all the lists, and swipe the senders'
> > addresses for spamming purposes?
>
> No.  No one from the public (and no one from your list, for that matter)
> can get any email addresses from the archives.

I'm sorry, I should clarify that a bit:

> I imagine you could use the strip-headers feature to remove the
> "From:" header, but I'd really advise against it -- knowing who the
> message comes  from is a good thing to know if/when someone starts
> SPAMming your list...

What I'm talking about is removing the "From:" header of the emails, which
would get them all posted to the list anonymously.  Thus, even those
subscribed wouldn't know what's going on.  I think it's pretty obvious how
this can get to be a really bad thing, and that's why I don't recommend
it.  There are better ways of protecting against SPAM.

Does that clear it up? :)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA