[freelists-users] Re: Out of Office Messages

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:36:53 -0500

> I had a list member who set his e-mail to auto reply ?Out of the
> Office?.  Then a second subject sent an e-mail to the list.  The list
> member who had set his auto reply received several hundred bounced
> e-mails to his office.  Any suggestions that I can do to prevent this
> from happening again.  I understand he should have set his list account
> to ?vacation mode? first and I do not want to change the list to have to
> approve each post before it goes to the list.

This is a pretty common issue with poorly-written vacation programs.
There's absolutely no reason for them to post back to the list, as that is
generally the "To:" address!  Whatever software they're using is
completely braindead.

I suggest you clobber the users who use the bad software, and think about
adding admin-regexp's for common out of office Subject lines.

John

- FreeLists Staff