[freedict] Re: Publications mentoning FD, was: Poll: replace deu-eng / eng-deu

  • From: Piotr Bański <bansp@xxxxx>
  • To: freedict@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 02:08:30 +0100

Hi Sebastian,

Firstly, about the meetup: it's project-based activity, productive and demonstrating that the project is alive and has a community willing to meet this way -- definitely something to be proud of, and that should definitely be reported on project pages, rather than vanish from memory. Depending on your career plans, having organized it is not a bad point in the CV either.

We could have e.g. a "papers/presentations" section, and "project-based activities" section, where both the meetup and my old seminar could fit.

Incidentally, earlier this month, I did a review of the soon-to-be-published ISO LMF-4 standard, concerning the TEI serialization of the LMF (Lexical Markup Framework) metamodel. I was pleased to notice (oh, vanitas vanitatum...) that one of my early TEI-conference presentations mentioning Freedict in the title was listed in the standard's bibliography. Not bad, for a free and unsponsored project, to be mentioned in an international ISO standard. Those papers and activities are something that we should definitely be unashamed to highlight.

And Michael will probably recall with a smile that 'breaking' .po synchronization was never a big issue to me ;-) But, seriously, in this case, I'm sure that it's worth it: it's not just that the PR gain outweighs the potential extra work, but I'm sure (or at least hoping) that many of the current project participants will be both pleased to know that the project has had this kind of output, and hopefully encouraged to add to the existing list of references.

Best wishes for the coming year, everyone: let's have a healthier and less stressful one, for a change!

   Piotr

On 13/12/2020 19:15, Sebastian Humenda wrote:

Hallo Piotr Bański,

Piotr Bański schrieb am 30.11.2020,  3:13 +0100:
I pasted into the wiki everything that I had found, together with a reference

Thanks!

I was also afraid to change the title of the page, because I guess it's the
end-point of a hyperlink as well.

Good point. Would need for grep for it then.

Aha, the meetup you organised on Freedict would also qualify, wouldn't it.

Are you sure? I would think it's not soooo important, since it did not produce
results worth a "publication". Not saying that it wasn't productive :-).

I haven't really received feedback on whether or not to put the publications
on the web site? On one hand I think it helps visibility; on the other hand,
people would need to translate that page...

Thanks
Sebastian

--
FreeDict - Free And Open Dictionaries