A day like today, two hundred years ago.

  • From: Sheafferer'S <nicolas.parres.md@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FP Talk List <fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:24:56 +0100

Two hundred years ago, this same day, January the nineteenth (for America this is really VINTAGE stuff), a man was born in Boston, Mass., named Edgar Poe.

His life was short, his list of accomplishments, quite long.

Quill pens or dip pens were his writing instruments (o tempora, o mores).
Ink stained hands, I swear, just as the Bard's.
(And mine)
At that time (died at fourty), he barely could have used a Fountain pen, but if he could, of course he would.

Fortunately, the typewriter wasn't still the "usual" instrument for "serious writers" as a 1915 Remington Rand ad reads ;-)
Nor the computer keyboard was invented !

Let's commemorate in deep the bicentenary of an American writer, one of the best in English Language (in my opinion, of course), and let's also cheer ourselves, pen collectors and pen users, for still having the G***S of going against the modern winds and carry everyday, at least, a pen with us. With a small handkerchief or a tea napkin to clean eventual flushing and wipe the ink excess from the nib after writing and before capping the "VINTAGE" Fountain Pen, and evenly, with a traveller's inkwell to refill "her" (her, for the pen, of course).

I want to, humblingly, dedicate this post to my dearest friend, Anne Poe Lehr, Poe's Cousin. Many of you, if not all, remember her. Now, hopefully, she is in a better place, caring for us. Anne had a lot of interests related to books, pens, penmanship, writing and much more, was a wonderful LADY, a loving family woman, but what made her so SPECIAL was her her way to be a friend. She had huge arms to hug firmly; a humanly (prefer to scratch the English word than typing manly) main value not highly considered in the beginnings of this XXI century.

Cheers to all.

Nicholas

-Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this lost Lenore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'-

Edgar Allan Poe, 1809-1849.
The Raven (1845), 14, 5-6

Link to "The Raven"

http://www.heise.de/ix/raven/Literature/Lore/TheRaven.html

or more "Gothic", here:

http://www.poestories.com/read/raven
in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per instructions
to complete the process.