Re: [foxboro] while...do defunct?

  • From: "Douglas G. Lloyd" <DGLControls@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:32:24 -0400

2nd attempt...

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas G. Lloyd [mailto:DGLControls@xxxxxxxxxxx]=20
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 12:17 AM
To: 'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [foxboro] while...do defunct?

Sasha,

I've also noticed that many shell scripts that worked fine in NT/MKS no
longer work or produce very different results in XP/MKS.  In most =
instances,
the scripts execute with no errors, but don't do what they are "supposed =
do".  Since a lot of script development tends to be "borrow and modify =
and
test and evolve until it works", I'm really not happy about having to
revisit many years worth of scripting efforts and starting over again.  =
So,
I keep an old hard drive with an NT system and am hoping for an answer =
this problem.

Has anyone found an alternative Bourne-like shell for XP that behaves =
like
the old NT/MKS shell?  I've downloaded a huge (+220MB) "Windows Services =
for
Unix 3.5" package from MS that includes a Korn shell and a C shell, but
haven't had time to test them out for NT/MKS compatibility.

Regards,

Doug Lloyd
DGL Controls