Re: [foxboro] Operating System Updates

  • From: "Meltvedt, Sean" <Sean.Meltvedt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:57:16 -0500

5ea  AW51B's last reboot Oct 10, 2003 still up and happy
4ea  AW51E's last reboot May 28, due to building power failure - still up
and happy
3ea  Windows 2k servers rebooted 6 times this year alone due to required OS
patches!
1 windows server in particular had to be rebooted 9 times due to a service
that would hang and could not be ended with task manager.  (the task manager
just doesn't cut it.)
My 2 cents in a nutshell - windows is not a good fit in any application that
cannot tolerate "maintenance reboots"

Sean Meltvedt
Process Control Engineer

> 2) Solaris is more stable than XP.

Ok, here I must confess that I have not personally used any of the new XP
stations but I have used the NT ones in the past.  As an operator
workstation, they seem to be pretty good (the install procedure is more of a
pain than the Solaris boxes though).
The problem comes when installing 3rd party utilities to regain some of the
functionality of the Unix stations.  The more apps added to windows
stations, the more stability problems that seem to occur: lockups, blue
screens, resource problems, etc.
I remember a presentation given by someone (I forget who) from Foxboro at
the last User's Group meeting in Orlando.  They had a slide showing the Mean
Time between Failures for Windows NT vs. Windows 2000.  NT had something
like 20 days and 2K was much better.  Now you are asking what does this have
to do with XP, well not much, but I remember before the new stations we
released, Foxboro was touting that the NT stations were just as stable as
the Solaris based ones.
An MTBF of 20
days (Foxboro numbers) does not (to me at least) seem as stable as the Sun
boxes.
So now the new XP boxes are said to be as stable as the Sun ones: this seems
to be a contradiction. I have Solaris WP's that have been running for over a
year, could I really expect the same from a Windows box???  I admit that I
have some bias when it comes to the Windows stations, but it is a bias that
comes from experience.  I would gladly embrace Windows stations that give me
all the functionality and stability as the Sun boxes, but I have not seen
this yet.  Has anyone?