Re: [foxboro] Virtual machines (was: how many cores?)

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 09:28:18 -0500

The proprietary driver/"certified" hardware issue was one reason I'm
interested in VMs. One side benefit for the users from a vendor supporting
their software running in a VM guest is that they have to ditch the
proprietary drivers, and they can't make a "you must buy certified
hardware from us" argument :)

As for robustness, it's speculation on my part. I've played a lot with
workstation-class virtualization, and while it works very well, I've seen
the occasional hiccup. I've read that server-class virtualization can have
throughput issues, though for process control that's likely less of a
problem than determinism. Dedicating or "passing through" hardware,
particular with the newer hardware-assist mechanisms for that, might go a
long way towards eliminating both throughput and determinism problems.

I personally wouldn't co-host guests at different trust levels, either. I
too am looking at virtualizing some ancillary systems, to save space as
much as anything, but we'll be doing a risk assessment and evaluating as
part of that assessment the scenario where the hypervisor/host OS is
breached from a guest. However, even in these cases if with a certain
guest I decide I don't want to share a host with other guests, I'll likely
be looking at virtualizing it anyway just to isolate me somewhat from the
hardware (the fun in reinstalling Windows is no longer there for me :),
and to facilitate backups and disaster recovery.

Corey Clingo
BASF

From:   Michael Toecker <michael.toecker@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   06/06/2012 06:05 PM
Subject:        Re: [foxboro] how many cores?
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah, I'm dealing with this on a concept project right now.  The biggest
concern I've got is the drivers in use by many control systems.  All of
them have them, IA has the ones mentioned, Ovation has the OHI drivers, GE
MARK is a little better but has some legacy drivers and hardware in
certain
applications that don't play well in a virtual environment.
I'm less concerned about robustness, and would love to hear your concerns.
I've been working with the notion that appropriate assignment of RAM, CPU
and Disk space (in other words, hard assignments and not pools) would
mitigate this issue. Also, dedicated assignment of the network adapters
would help as well, rather than working through a virtual interface.

As far as co-hosting less trusted guests, I haven't been doing that at
all.  It's definitely a potential waste of the resources, but CIP
requirements have taken precendence in many environments I look at, and
mixing inside/outside ESP has been a compliance issue in the past.  I've
been able to offset the waste by looking into virtualizing ancillary
systems that interact with control systems, such as environmental, cyber
security, and things like Pi/eDNA.  Still not ideal.

Mike Toecker
Digital Bond, Inc