Re: [foxboro] Scripting information (was: Dedit and Where Used report on I/A 7.1 and 8.2)

  • From: Duc M Do <duc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:43:21 -0400

At 07:22 PM 7/30/07 -0400, Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\) wrote:

 >For those interested in learning about scripting there are many, many
 >resources and nearly as many shells to use.
 >
 >In general, I find the O'reilly books to be very useful. www.orielly.com
 >These three provide the basics:
 >
 >Classic Shell Scripting By Arnold Robbins, Nelson H.F. Beebe
 >This is a good place to start.
 >http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/shellsrptg
 >

 >Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth Edition By Arnold Robbins
 >This will help you understand the tools available. Shells and scripts
 >are good, but you need tools, too.
 >http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unixnut4
 >

 >sed & awk, Second Edition By Dale Dougherty, Arnold Robbins
 >sed & awk describes two text manipulation programs that are mainstays of
 >the UNIX programmer's toolbox.
 >http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sed2
 >
 >Once you learn these, you can look into the many other interpreters "out
 >there."

I heartily agree with Alex on the sed & awk book. It stays open on my
desk most of the time (in defiance of the clean desk edict, yeah, I'm
bad!) for quick reference.

Another book that I consider "bible" is Jeffrey Friedl's "Mastering
Regular Expressions," O'Reilly Media, Inc., Third Edition.
http://regex.info/ or http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex3

Once you figure out regex, text manipulation becomes like a game, and
you'd be looking for chances to apply the quirkiest regex, just because
you can.

Duc