Re: [foxboro] Replacing 51D workstations

  • From: "Kevin Fitzgerrell" <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:05:39 +0900

51E workstations (Sun Ultra 60) are software, hardware and cable
compatible with 51D workstations (Sun Ultra 5).  In my experience they
are far more reliable than 51D workstations, and the hardware is
easier to source.  However, they are also at or near Foxboro's EOL.

51G and 51F workstations at V7.x can be added to an existing V6.x
system fairly easily.  One or two workstations can be added via NCNIs,
more than 2 workstations in an area and you'll probably find it's
easier to add with a pair of NCNIs, a pair of switches.  Each
workstation needs it's RCNI (works like the dnbt or dnbi).  I'd be
cautious about going this route - it's an easy way to replace a few
workstations, but is likely to be more complex than adding new Solaris
on the Mesh workstations once you get past a few workstations.  My
impression is that V8.x is better supported than V7.x.  Also, the
51G(P80/81, Sun Blade 2000/1500) and 51F (P79, Sun Blade 150)
workstations are already past EOL by their manufacturer.  The new P82
Solaris workstations for the Mesh network (Sun Ultra 25) are Foxboro's
only offering that is currently in production by Sun.

Additionally, I/A version 7.x requires upgrading the rest of your
workstations to at least version 6.4 (and may as well go to 6.5.x).
This is a day 0 upgrade.  I/A version 8.x (mesh network) is supposed
to be compatible with I/A back to 6.1.

At my plant we are in the same position as you.  We will not be using
the 51F/51G workstation at version 7.x.  We'll add a small v8.x mesh
network to our existing 6.2.1 system and trial both XP and Solaris
workstations and decide how to proceed from there.  Initially this
will be a simple addition to our system, but later this year we will
start to replace our carrier band LAN with switches on the mesh for
de-bottlenecking.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell