Re: [foxboro] Recommendations for setting I/A DCS and Triconex TriStation time by GPS or similar manner?

  • From: "Boulay, Russ" <russ.boulay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:09:29 -0400

I thought Alaa's answer below may have answered that question...
Once the TriStation had the link tied as below..the "PC" would be in
sync.

"Neil,
First:
You have to install GPS system in your MTK workstation (you may need to
change the system definition) this will synchronize your IA stations to
GPS clock

Second:
You take a RJ45/RJ45 cable from time strobe converter (it looks like a
small hub) to Triconex chassis Ethernet port (NET1 OR NET2) but this
port must be defined in Tristation as time synch port this will
synchronize your Triconex with same GPS clock that IA is synchronized
with"

TriStation time by GPS or similar manner?

Thanks Alex,
We will send in a PER.

Neil Martin
Huntsman Performance Chemicals
Conroe & Dayton , TX.
Conroe ph) 936-760-6205
Dayton ph)  936-257-4212
pager) 936-522-0052

"Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/08/2009 12:44 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Recommendations for setting I/A DCS and Triconex
TriStation
time by GPS or similar manner?

Recap - Neil Martin asked about ways to synchronize Triconex controller
time with I/A Series time. I reviewed the standard options. Neil replied
that the TriStation downloads the PC time to the Triconex controller
when it downloads software. He then asked if there was anything that can
be done about that behavior since the PC is unlikely to be synchronized
to the I/A Series System. I had to admit that I didn't know the answer -
argghh!

Now, for the answers!

Neil,

You are correct. TriStation does download the PC's time to the Triconex
controller along with configuration information. There is no mechanism
to override that behavior.

There are some things that might make this less of a problem.

1) The TriStation PC could be tied to an NTP source referenced against
the GPS. We do have some approaches to do that depending on where you
use TriStation. This should minimize any time delta.
2) The I/A Series FDSI sends down a new time every 10m so the delta will
not last for a long time in the Tricon.

I'm still trying to find out how a Tricon handles this "time bump" in a
standalone situation using the Triconex GPS solution since synchronizing
the Tricon is another option you could try.

In the meantime, would you consider filing a Product Enhancement Request
on TriStation at http://support.ips.invensys.com? I'd do it, but they
carry more weight from a client than from me.

One more note: My previous answer about the time synchronization network
was a little imprecise. The time synchronization network requires
"special" baseplates - ones with a time strobe input - only for FCP270
baseplate and the ZCP's FCM.

FBM baseplates don't need a connection to the time strobe.

The ZCP270 of course does not have a baseplate.

Hope I didn't cause too much confusion.

Invensys Process Systems
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)
+1 713 329 1600 (operator)
+1 713 329 1944 (SSC Fax)
+1 713 329 1700 (Central Fax)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

** Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any associated or attached files, is intended solely for
the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail is confidential
and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you
are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person.

This email is from the Invensys Process Systems business unit of the Invensys
Group, a group of companies owned by Invensys plc, which is a company
registered in England and Wales with its registered office at Portland House,
Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF (Registered number 166023).  For a list of
European legal entities within the Invensys Group, please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 7821 3848 or e-mail
inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be
subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its
subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates).