Re: [foxboro] RE  : Communication problem b/w FBM231 & AB PLC

  • From: "Wilson, Brad" <brad.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:11:45 -0400

FBM230 is for single-ported devices. It has 4 ports which can be individual=
ly set as RS232, RS422 or RS485. RS232/422 are single-drop, so 4 devices co=
uld be attached to each FBM. RS485 allows multidrop for a total of 64 devic=
es distributed over the 4 ports. (Keep in mind that data loading may restri=
ct the number of devices to less than 64.) FBM231 is the redundant version =
for dual-ported devices.

FBM232 is for Ethernet 10/100 TCP/IP or UDP/IP communication. It supports 6=
4 devices through hubs or switches. FBM233 is the redindant version for dua=
l-poerted devices.

Some docs you'll want to read:
B0700AH - FDSI User's Guide
B0700BG - FDSI Driver for Modbus (Serial & TCP/IP) (FBM230/231/232/233)
B0700BH - FDSI Driver for OPC Client (only FBM232/233)
B0700BJ - FDSI Driver for Allen-Bradley ControlLogix PLC (only FBM232/233)

The basic principle is there is a FBM driver file (.ZIPH) and a port config=
uration file (.XML) for each FBM. There is a device configuration file (.XM=
L) for each device attached to the FBM. The format of these .XML files diff=
ers depending on the type of FBM, the driver and the device.

For example, the Modbus driver pre-defines all the transaction types, so th=
ere is no need to build the equivalent of MDSCAN or FDSCAN blocks to define=
 the transactions. The DCI blocks simply refer to the addresses within each=
 transacton type. So to read 16 inputs (Modbus FC2) starting bit 73, PAKIN.=
PNT would simply be 10073:C16. The driver already know that 10073 falls wit=
hin the range for FC2. The driver manuals explain all the details of addres=
sing for each protocol.

Brad Wilson
brad.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Invensys Systems, Inc