Re: [foxboro] Question about error at end of tape backup of AW51D I/Aver 6.3

  • From: <Jack.Easley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:54:00 -0500

This is from UNIX 6.12, not 6.3, so take it with a grain of salt.

If a bad block on your hard drive is causing the dump/dd to fail as
indicated below, run the "format-0-analyze-read" utility first on the
hard drive which will remove the bad block(s) and allow the dump/dd to
succeed. I am assuming your hard-drive is disk 0 in my examples of the
format utility. The "format-0-analyze-read" utility will remove only bad
blocks, which are not functional anyway. If the format utility prompts
you to actually remove each bad block it finds; always answer yes. Any
bad blocks are an indication your hard-drive is starting to fail. I
always replace hard-drives if a bad block(s) is/are found on more than
one occasion on a hard drive.

Be aware that although removing bad blocks do not cause the next reboot
to fail, they are an indication that a block(s) somewhere on your hard
drive has failed. If this block happens to be part of a required boot
file, the station will not come back up. Of course, if such was the
case, the station would have not rebooted with the bad block anyway.
Anytime I run format-0-analyze-read and do find a bad block, I always do
a backup in multi-user mode before rebooting, to savage what I can in
case the station will not reboot. Some additional precautions to take if
this is an AP or AW are to make fresh savealls for the AW and save any
historian configuration(s) to a file before making your multi-user
backup.

Jack Easley
Sr. I&C Technician
Luminant Power, Martin Lake Plant