Re: [foxboro] PH controller in Waste Water Treatment

  • From: "Ken Heywood" <kheywood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:02:12 -0500

I consulted Harold Skinner, who may just have the most experience of anybody
who ever crawled around a Parschal flume. His thoughts on the matter of pH
control:

"Foxboro's Greg Shinskey and Tom Myron (and I think Edgar Bristol was in there
too?) did a lot of the early work in developing control strategies and solving
application problems with pH control.   They left a legacy of a lot paper
(several books and many articles) plus patented designs on hardware and
configurations.  A lot of the early work on the EXACT algorythm was on pH
applications.  EXACT is available in I/A, and almost any of the control
strategies that they used can be done in I/A.
Several authors have taken up the drum-beat where they left off, and are now
self-proclaimed experts.
Successful pH control (especially effluent neutralization) is a combination of
process design, hardware (sensors, valves, etc.) and  controls strategy (that
tries to match response to the peculiarities of the process).  The biggest
problem I have seen is in the extensive knowledge of the process, and of the
control system, needed by the person setting up the controls.  I haven't seen
one yet - that you can turn-it-on and walk-away."