Re: [foxboro] New Alarm Delay Parameters NASOPT and NASTDB

  • From: <duc.do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:16:24 -0400

> (Incidentally, is there a way to reply from the archive?  Or do you
> have to save all the list emails to be able to reply to a specific
one?)

No, there is no way to directly reply from the archive. Even if there
was to be that option, I would've opted to turn it off. The archive is
publicly available, and direct-reply from it would invite tons of spams.

In lieu of copy-and-paste the posting in question, you can reference it
by using the URL that points to its archived copy.

(Doubly incidentally, I really like the way freelists.org obfuscates the
e-mail addresses in the archive.)

Duc

*       From: Neil Martin <neil_martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
*       To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*       Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:50:13 -0500

For those interested and who might want to second the suggestion to
Invensys, I submitted PER (Product Enhancement Request) 2923 on June 16
for a boolean and real alarm wait parameter.  Text from the suggestion
is
shown below, but please, be kind about my wording.
For those who are not aware, following requests from several years ago,
Invensys is finally implementing a control block parameter (NASTDB) in
8.X
and the CP270s that provides a time deadband for boolean alarms - like
CIN
state alarms.  Working similar to a measurement alarm's DeadBand, I
believe this parameter enables a time duration to be configured for a
state to return to "GOOD" before the state alarm will go away.  This is
an
OFF delay.  Now what we are also needing is an alarm ON delay.

PER 2923  - submitted June 16, 2008

Need built in capability for real and boolean alarms to not
trigger the alarm unless it is in the alarm state for a
designated amount of time.  This will help eliminate
nuisance alarms due to momentary  or short duration
spikes.

Suggested Solution:

Provide a parameter called something like ALMWT (Alarm
Wait) that specifies the time that an alarm condition shall
exist before the alarm is triggered.  It is like the opposite of
the NASTDB parameter.

Anticipated Benefits:

Provide additional system capability to reduce nuisance
alarms.

Neil Martin
Huntsman Performance Chemicals
Conroe & Dayton , TX.
Conroe ph) 936-760-6205
Dayton ph)  936-257-4212
pager) 936-522-0052

"Jones, Charles R. (Chuck)" <Chuck.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/24/2008 11:15 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Some things to talk about

Like Corey, I (often) use LOGIC blocks for their inexpensive alarm delay
capability (to filter out spikes).  I sometimes use them for creating
interlocks where I need to OR or AND some inputs.  If LOGIC blocks go
away, I can use a MON block for the same function.  For alarm delays, I
could still use the larger CALC or CALCA.

I think we should keep LOGIC blocks.  Or, better yet, build a Delay ON
function into our existing alarms.

Chuck Jones
Automation Technologist
Tate & Lyle South Plant