Re: [foxboro] Internet Browser on Solaris 8.0

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:33:58 +1200 (NZST)

Hi Klaus,

Opera, Firefox and Mozilla all run well on Solaris.  Internet Explorer v 5.0 sp
1 also is/was available for Solaris.  Netscape is commonly used on Solaris but
really shows it's age.

Packages/binaries for Solaris are available from:
http://www.sunfreeware.com/mozilla.html
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/contrib/
http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?step=2&opsys=Solaris%20Sparc&platform=solaris
http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php

For any of the browsers, insuring you meet all dependencies is a bit of a
challange.

Foxboro I/A workstations are running in 8 bit color (256 color), and you may
notice problems with the color palette on the browser window and on other
windows when the browser tries to allocate colors.  This is similar to the
problems encountered when using bitmaps in Foxview under Solaris.  To help
minimize this problem, consider using a skin for the browser with a very limited
color scheme, and consider telling the browser not to load pictures by default.

Don't expect great browsing performance from the low end Solaris workstations.
An F box with a 550mhz or 650mhz cpu doesn't compare well with a PC with running
a 3.2mhz P4.  In my experience the Sparc CPUs perform on par with an Intel CPU
with about 1.5 times the clock speed.  Image file rendering is particularly
affected.

A more effective solution for this kind of application may be to run a
windows/intel card in your Foxboro workstation.  These are called "SunPCi"
cards.  You actually load a copy of windows through these.  They can put a
Windows window on  your Solaris desktop or you can connect another monitor to
the card directly.  See datasheet for the current version at:
http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/sunpcipro/datasheet.pdf  Foxboro used to
sell these cards for older platforms as "Windows on I/A" for the B and C series
workstations.  I've got a couple of the newer PCi ones under my desk but haven't
had a chance to try on an E or F box yet.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Carter Holt Harvey, Ltd.
+64 27 460 9994