Re: [foxboro] IEE Strategy Naming Conventions

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:01:43 -0600

We typically put the "loop number" in the LOOPID, e.g., "F100" for blocks
FT100, FIC100, FY100. We haven't really used LOOPID yet (though I
understand FoxCAE used it to determine how to paginate/separate its
diagrams). I'm not sure whether that's a good thing for IEE or not, since
I'm not even on version 8 :)

But this is a familiar refrain. The strategy thing sounds like it has one
and only one benefit, and that is to be able to copy groups of blocks as a
template. Judging from this discussion it has some drawbacks too, and gets
in the way of ongoing "maintenance"-type configuration. It also is not
required or even downloaded to the CPs. So why is it required again? Maybe
Invensys ought to poll its customers to see how many of them really like
this feature in IEE after a couple of years. Or better yet, make it
optional; use it if you need the templating capability, but don't require
it if you don't.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

From:
Neil Martin <neil_martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:
12/06/2011 06:18 PM
Re: [foxboro] IEE Strategy Naming Conventions
Sent by:
foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have not been involved in the conversion process to IEE, but we do have
an older version of IEE (1.2.2) running with our V8.4.2 I/A system.  My
guess is that they will name the IEE strategy based on what you have in
the LOOPID.  My recommendation is keep the name strategy name simple (like

FIC10 or FI10), and regardless of how many interconnections there are with

other blocks, I recommend that you consider putting only blocks that share

the same numbering (i.e. FI10, FIC10, FY10, etc.) in the strategy.  If you

mix different tags within the same strategy, it is can be very difficult
to know which strategy to open unless you use a search routine to find the

block you are interested in.  IEE will not list the blocks that are in a
COMPOUND like ICC does -  you can't see the blocks until you open the
strategy.  I also do not recommend configuring Strategy declaration flags
(connections in and out of strategies), unless you want take a lot of
extra time to configure them when you build new blocks and strategies, and

want to have connection text show that is not C:B.P.
 We considered just making a whole COMPOUND as the strategy, but it is too

hard to find the block you want within the small IEE strategy window (have

to pan around and enlarge the view) - and with our IEE version deploys
would be very slow.   Since strategies have no meaning and don't exist
within the I/A system (i.e. controllers), we would very much rather not
use them because they only slow down our work.

Besides other IEE issues, you might want to know that IEE also does not
currently have print routines that will print block parameters in the same

order as the show in ICC, it only prints them in alphabetical order which
mixes them up instead of grouping by function.  IEE will print the
parameters for all the blocks in a strategy and I believe they are
separated by block, but they print in alphabetical order.

Neil Martin, P.E.
Huntsman Performance Chemicals
Conroe & Dayton , TX.
Conroe ph) 936-760-6205
Dayton ph)  936-257-4212
pager) 936-522-0052

"Horlacher, Don" <DHorlacher@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/06/2011 03:26 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[foxboro] IEE Strategy Naming Conventions

List,
   My company will be upgrading from an old UNIX version (4.3) of I/A to
version 8.6 on the mesh, using Foxview/Foxdraw, Wonderware Historian, and
the IEE (now Foxboro Control Software 3.0) configurator. Invensys will be
performing the conversion of systems, except for the screens, which I will

re-create on the Foxdraw. I found out at the recent OpsManage conference
in Nashville that the conversion into IEE is made much easier if the
LOOPID parameter in the blocks is filled in. All of our existing blocks
have blanks in the LOOPID parameter.
   My plan is to fill in the LOOPID parameters before Invensys starts the
conversion. I'm thinking of using the main control block tagname (eg. The
PIDA control block) for each loop, maybe appending the CP and compound
name onto it. However, for cascade loops, I am unsure of what to do. I am
thinking of just naming each loop within a cascade and let the strategies
then point or connect to each other. I am not up to speed yet on IEE. My
question is, what are solid naming conventions for strategies and LOOPID
parameters, and how are more complex relationships handled?
Regards,

Don Horlacher
Electrical/Control Engineer
ASARCO Hayden