Re: [foxboro] [I] Re: Wrting data from PI server to Foxboro IAS blocks, OPCInt <<==>> AIM OPC DA

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:21:19 -0500

One comment.

Fxbais "pushes" data into the blocks using "one-shot" calls. This is not very
efficient and it is very slow if you have significant data to move.

The better approach is to stage the date in OM variables local to the fxbais
process (on the AW) since the "one-shot" is very fast in that case. These local
OM variables should  then be connected to the input parameter of the block.

This makes a "read" connection from the AW to the CP and that is very fast and
efficient.

There are two types of "local" OM variables available to you:

1) Shared Variables
2) I/A Series Application Objects

Shared Variables are free and can be created at boot-up using omcrt or ommcrt.
The limitation of note is that the name is only 14 characters long and they do
not have parameters.

Application Objects like SVs reside in the AW's memory, but have a three part
name. The advantage of this is that it is easy to create generic displays to
view the data in the AOs.

AOS is sold (Q0301JC). Shared Variables are included in the base software.

I strongly recommend this approach if you have 100+ values to move into the CP.

Invensys Operations Management
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)