Re: [foxboro] Hard disk restore on AW51E

  • From: steve.shimp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:16:42 -0500

The host id should not be an issue.

Since you made the backup on a mirrored system, the meta partition
containing the mirror information was also copied.  I'm not sure what
version of I/A that you are running, but typically you don't want to
restore the meta partition information.  It's best to restore the system as
a single drive system and then remirror the drives if desired - which in
your case you would skip.  I have run into this before, but it has been
resolved in recent versions from my experience.

You can recover from this in a couple of ways.  First method is to boot off
of the I/A CD, uncompress the meta partition (it's located on the CD, but I
can't recall where) and then follow a manual restore using dd.  The second
method may be easier.  Boot the I/A CD and do a software install.  After
the software installs, copy the restore script to /tmp.  Modify the script
so that it does not restore the meta partition information from the backup
tape.

Steve Shimp
Maintenance & Systems Engineer
ExxonMobil Paulsboro Lube Plant
phone: 856.224.5059      cell: 609.820.8501      fax: 856.224.5030
email:  steve.shimp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx