Re: [foxboro] FW: CP40A FT Double Failure

  • From: "tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx" <tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 06:04:20 -1000

Andrew,
    I am going on memory here but I know I have seen this error before
in my past life at Dow Corning.   I'm almost positive it is associated
with the nodebus/Ethernet communication side of things and not the
fieldbus.  FTXSS refers to the X-bus FT connector installed behind the
two CP's.  Z-Bus communication passes between the two FT CP's via the
front mounted paddle.  Ever since CP-30's both are used to keep the pair
Fault Tolerant.  From my perspective, only improper evaluation of the X
and Z bus should cause both CP's to quit communicating on the nodebus at
the same time.  One or the other of them should have stayed up to carry
on the control of your process.  I have a few questions:

What was the front light status of the two CP's after they failed?
Were both CP's Red-Dead, (Red light only on both)?
Was one still green and the other Red light only?
Were both CP's Red/Green Dead, (Red and Green light on both)?
Did you replace one or both CP-40's?
Did the process shutdown simultaneously with the failure?
Do you rely on peer-to-peer between this FT CP and others to accomplish
control?
Do you have a software watch dog that shuts down the process in a CP if
you lose peer-to-peer?

I think my experience was that both CP's were still green but not
communicating on the nodebus but that is from a foggy memory of the
past.  We suspected that process control within the CP was till
executing but without nodebus communication to workstation consoles or
system monitor we were unable to verify.  The fieldbus isolator lights
connected to the CP's fieldbus were still flashing and that was our clue
that at least one of the CP's was still talking to the fieldbus.  We did
not have a software watchdog to shutdown the process on loss of
peer-to-peer communication, (nodebus), with other CP's.

    I'm not sure if this is helpful but I don't think both CP's should
fail if one can't communicate with the other across the X/Z bus.  That
would kinda defeat the purpose of having Fault Tolerant CP's.

Tom VandeWater
Control Conversions Inc.
Kapolei, Hawaii