Re: [foxboro] FCP vs. ZCP? (forked from: network storm)

  • From: "Deathos, Matthew" <matthew.deathos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:43:44 -0500

Tom,

The plan has always been to offer both the FCP and ZCP along the same lifecycle
path.  There is no plan to remove the ZCP from sale any sooner than the FCP.
Except for the packaging, most of the components are exactly the same in both
modules.  The ZCP fills a need that the FCP cannot, namely reuse of the
existing infrastructure as was mentioned and it also provides a larger IO
capacity through the use of multiple FCM100 pairs.

Corey,

Software differences:
There is no difference in software functionality between the FCP270 and ZCP270
controllers.  What Alex is alluding to is that there is two different ways to
install the ZCP270.  1) With one MESH network with ZCPs, FCMs, and workstations
all on the same MESH, or 2) with two MESH networks, one for the ZCP to
workstation connection and the other for the ZCP to FCM100 fieldbus connection.
 This is similar to how the CP60 separates the control network from the
fieldbus.

The big difference in features is that with option 1, System Manager will
report on all the switches in the network.  In Option 2, system manager only
reports on the health of the workstation network as it does not have the access
to the second network.

The other difference is that for the optional software packages SOE and
TDR/TDA, the workstation needs to be able to talk to the FCM directly.  It
can't do that with option 2.

BTW, TDR/TDA (Transient Data Recorder and Analysis) is an optional post trip
analysis package.  Think SOE for analog points.  There is a spec sheet on the
website that describes the package.

Also, if you need 60 FBMs in a controller and are expecting to use more than a
very little bit of the DCI type FBMs, then I agree with you that the FCP270 is
probably not the right choice.

Hope this helps,
Matt DeAthos
IPS Portfolio

From: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Corey R Clingo
Subject: [foxboro] FCP vs. ZCP? (forked from: network storm)

"As a rule of thumb, I recommend FCPs over ZCPs in almost all cases."

Interesting comment.  We are evaluating migration options here, and so far
have been assuming ZCP270s.  Aside from being able to use existing racks
(which varies in importance from installation to installation, and may be
superseded by other factors), the ZCP has a 100Mbps fieldbus.  That's
overkill for sure, but I was worried that the 2Mbps fieldbus of the FCP
might not be enough for the full 60-FBM complement, especially if using
many FDSI or DCI FBMs.  The FCP advantages were simplified cabling and
less installation space (since it mounts in an FBM baseplate or something
similar).

But your statement below, that the ZCP lacks some software functionality
that the FCP has, is news to me.  Are there plans to add it to the ZCP
image?  Is FCP going to be the future direction (and in the process, will
ZCPs get end-of-life'd faster)?  Are you going to have to keep them more
environment-controlled than the FBMs (we have already seen by accident
that the FBMs will not meet their stated ~140°F temperature ratings)?

Also, what is TDR/TDA?  Those are TLAs I haven't heard yet.

Thanks,
Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

* Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail and any associated files are intended solely for the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. Please do not copy it or use it for any
purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Further, this e-mail
and any associated files may be confidential and further may be legally
privileged. This email is from the Invensys Process Systems business unit of
Invensys plc which is a company registered in England and Wales with its
registered office at Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF
(Registered number 166023).  For a list of European legal entities within the
Invensys Process Systems business group, please click here
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

If you have received this e-mail in error, you are on notice of its status.
Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Thank you for your co-operation. You may contact our Helpdesk on
+44 (0)20 7821 3859 / 2105 or email inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail
and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any agreements
between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient
(and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).