Re: [foxboro] E-mail from Ver 7.1 Unix boxes

  • From: "TED PLUMB" <tplumb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:42:15 -0700

 Corey, I'd be interested in this also if possible.  I currently use
LogMate to perform this function.  My use for system messages would not
be for real time but to document from prev. night for example.  Thanks
in advance.

Ted Plumb
Departmental IS Coordinator II
City of Salem
tplumb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
503-763-3484
503-588-6380
FAX 503-361-2203 or 503-588-6387

>>> corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx 7/5/2007 11:45 AM >>>
We email system monitor reports every couple of days - not exactly
real-time, but good enough generally for our needs.  We set the
historians
up to log system monitor messages, and we run an ACE report out of a
cron
job to query the data and email it.  You could run it, say, every hour
and
have a script look for data in the query and send an email if there is

any.  I can send some details on our setup off-list if you want.

There's also the "touch /usr/fox/sysmgm/sysmon/sysmon.log" method, to
have
system monitor generate a log file, but I've never tried that.

We have Event Driven Scripts too, but we don't use it for real-time
system
monitor messages because it has no throttling or aggregation capability

that I can tell, and I don't want to get a hundred emails when one of
my
FCMs hiccups.  Also, shell metacharacters ("%", ";", "\", etc.) in
argument strings passed to your program (the "script" in Event Driven
Scripts) give it fits because it forks a shell to run your program when
an
event occurs.  And wildcards are not supported in filter definitions,
though this probably has more impact on the alarm event configuration
than
it does for system monitor.  But it wasn't too expensive at our
pricing,
and it comes with complete source code (believe it or not), so when I
get
time I'll probably hack on it some to make it more like what I expected
it
to be in the first place :)

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation