Re: [foxboro] Compensated Level Indication

  • From: Terry Doucet <doucet427@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 11:50:38 -0400

The major d/p transmitter manufacturers will offer a matched set of diaphrams
(equal volume on both the Hi and Lo side of the d/p transmitter). This negates
any worry about wet legs vaporizing liquid and since the volumes are matched,
ambient temperature changes have less impact on dp error.  The cost is a little
higher but well worth it to keep a constant pressure on the higer elevation
level tap.

Density of liquid propane is going to change with temperature much more than
with pressure as long as your pressure can maintain the liquid and not allow
flashing to vapor. If you can assure liquid is always present, then the higher
elevation pressure tap should correct for changes in pressure in your surge
tank.

You need an RTD in the tank to measur liquid temperature. For the ranges of
temperature that you expect to see inside the tank, check the propane tables to
see how linear is the response of density to temperature. If it is reasonably
linear then you can use a calc block to correct the "indicated level" to true
level. If the response is dramatically non-linear then you may have to use a
characterizer block to get a value of density for a specific temperature and
send that to the CALC block to correct the indicated level.

You also need to have a feel for the economic costs of the bad indicated level.
Afterall the definition of a surge tank is to allow things to smooth out over
time.

If there is any chance that control of the level will be required at a later
date, then you can look at in-flow and out-flow to work towards a 3-element
controller.

Terry