Re: [foxboro] CP Islanding

  • From: <dave.caldwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:42:31 -0400

Terry,

Thanks very much. I'll give it a go.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Doucet, Terrence
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:49 PM
To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [foxboro] CP Islanding

Dave,

AW reboot ---   When the AW is freshly rebooted, go to VT100 and run the

=3D20
/opt/fox/bin/tools/omget <CPLBUG>_STA:STATION.TOTMEM  =3D20
/opt/fox/bin/tools/omget <CPLBUG>_STA:STATION.MAXMEM

The TOTMEM limit is > 350000 bytes
The MAXMEM limit is > 10000 bytes

(I think) - Sorry I cannot exactly remember the limits but someone else
on the freelist may have these numbers.

/opt/fox/bin/tools/rsom   on the CP40    (See HH384)

Use the opdb command and count the number of lists.  This is a pain
because you have to count the multiples of 20 points per line and keep
the results in your head.  Record the number or dump the opdb results to
a file.

Repeat these commands after a bit of time and see if the memory is
decreasing and the list use is increasing. The list limit is 600 for the
CP40.  If you are sourcing Exceed sessions from this AW, maybe they are
not exiting properly and you end up with lots of dangling lists.
(Existing, but no longer used by a sink session) Or some other process
or program could be doing the same thing.

Repeat again as time goes on to see if the number becomes constant or
keeps increasing. When you get your first call about islanding,  bad,
out of service connections, run the commands again and see if you are at
any limit.

Terry

Q: Did this site work great for a while and just start giving you a
problem or has it always been a problem?
A: This has been a problem for quite a while. Oddly enough a reboot of
the AW seems to make it go away, and stay a way for a few weeks to
months. Moreover, we keep replacing copper with fiber in the CBLAN, and
the network reliability seems improved.=3D20
=20
=20
=20