Re: [foxboro] Anyone using Cutler Hammer SVX drives with Foxboro?

  • From: Michael Toecker <michael.toecker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:05:07 -0500

[SecurityHat:ON]
Be careful where you put those VFD controllers on your TCP/IP network. Some
are susceptible to being taken offline by network events like broadcast
storms or port scans. I don't know the exact make/model of the ones
affected unfortunately, that info wasn't in the experience report.

There has been at least one documented outage caused by a two VFD devices
controlling what were supposed to be redundant motors in the power sector,
relating to the internals hanging up and failing the controller. The
failure mode from the network wasn't anticipated.

[SecurityHat:OFF]

Mike

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Vandewater, Tom (HI Contractor) <
TVandewater.contractor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Chad,
I think you are right that you are overlapping addresses. That is
probably why you got the Duplicate Channel error on the Foxboro side prior
to MODBUS+DUPS modification in ECB201. The PAKIN/PAKOUT blocks read/write
32 bits by default so if you were reading packed Boolean values with a
PAKIN from MODBUS input register 30001 it would really be reading 16 bits
from 30001 and 16 bits from 30002. Likewise, if using a PAKOUT to write
holding register 40001 you would be writing 40001 and 40002 by default.
For a PAKIN reading contact input 10001 you would really be reading
10001-10032. To complicate issues some MODBUS implementations from
different vendors require Word/Byte swaps and some interpret individual
bits within the bytes in reverse order. There are a host of options within
the Foxboro MODBUS interface configuration to reverse engineer all of the
crazy things vendors do with MODBUS. If you see a MODBUS Address Point ID
in a Foxboro interface such as 40001:F4:
W3 you will know that the 3rd party vendor has done something funky to
bastardize MODBUS for their advantage.
Although it involves creating more blocks I prefer to use
individual BIN or BOUT blocks instead of PAKIN/PAKOUT blocks when unique
discrete values such as motor run status, valve limit switches, discrete
alarm statuses are being passed to/from 3rd party interfaces. The BIN's
and BOUT's read/write individual bits rather than groups of bits. It is
much easier for anyone to understand exactly which bit is being
accessed/written. Beware of the default feature of the BIN block however.
There is a parameter named .SELOPT whose default value is set to 1. SELOPT
= 1 means that the block will always initialize with a FALSE/ZERO value
regardless of what the actual MODBUS register value currently holds. This
means that if the BIN block alarm state is set to alarm on a FALSE/ZERO
input it will alarm anytime the block is downloaded even if the actual
MODBUS value is TRUE/1. It also means that any downstream logic/shutdown
block that uses the BIN's .CIN parameter could get t
oggled when modifying/downloading the BIN block. To make the BIN block
react like any other Foxboro block that hold the last value during
initialization, ALWAYS be sure to set .SELOPT = 0. Would really like to
locate the programmer responsible for the default SELOPT=1 setting so I
could smack him up side his boney head;<) Thanks again to Anthony
Stankiewicz for tipping me off about .SELOPT. It is easy to miss when
reading the BIN block documentation.

Cheers,
Tom VandeWater
Control Conversions, Inc.