Re: [foxboro] Anyone using Cutler Hammer SVX drives with Foxboro?

  • From: "Vandewater, Tom (HI Contractor)" <TVandewater.contractor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 23:56:36 +0000

Chad,
I think you are right that you are overlapping addresses. That is
probably why you got the Duplicate Channel error on the Foxboro side prior to
MODBUS+DUPS modification in ECB201. The PAKIN/PAKOUT blocks read/write 32 bits
by default so if you were reading packed Boolean values with a PAKIN from
MODBUS input register 30001 it would really be reading 16 bits from 30001 and
16 bits from 30002. Likewise, if using a PAKOUT to write holding register
40001 you would be writing 40001 and 40002 by default. For a PAKIN reading
contact input 10001 you would really be reading 10001-10032. To complicate
issues some MODBUS implementations from different vendors require Word/Byte
swaps and some interpret individual bits within the bytes in reverse order.
There are a host of options within the Foxboro MODBUS interface configuration
to reverse engineer all of the crazy things vendors do with MODBUS. If you see
a MODBUS Address Point ID in a Foxboro interface such as 40001:F4:W3 you will
know that the 3rd party vendor has done something funky to bastardize MODBUS
for their advantage.
Although it involves creating more blocks I prefer to use individual
BIN or BOUT blocks instead of PAKIN/PAKOUT blocks when unique discrete values
such as motor run status, valve limit switches, discrete alarm statuses are
being passed to/from 3rd party interfaces. The BIN's and BOUT's read/write
individual bits rather than groups of bits. It is much easier for anyone to
understand exactly which bit is being accessed/written. Beware of the default
feature of the BIN block however. There is a parameter named .SELOPT whose
default value is set to 1. SELOPT = 1 means that the block will always
initialize with a FALSE/ZERO value regardless of what the actual MODBUS
register value currently holds. This means that if the BIN block alarm state
is set to alarm on a FALSE/ZERO input it will alarm anytime the block is
downloaded even if the actual MODBUS value is TRUE/1. It also means that any
downstream logic/shutdown block that uses the BIN's .CIN parameter could get
toggled when modifying/downloading the BIN block. To make the BIN block react
like any other Foxboro block that hold the last value during initialization,
ALWAYS be sure to set .SELOPT = 0. Would really like to locate the programmer
responsible for the default SELOPT=1 setting so I could smack him up side his
boney head;<) Thanks again to Anthony Stankiewicz for tipping me off about
.SELOPT. It is easy to miss when reading the BIN block documentation.

Cheers,
Tom VandeWater
Control Conversions, Inc.