Re: [foxboro] Alarm Management Question

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:56:01 -0400

Alan and everyone else.

I love alarms and when the topic comes up, I start talking. :) Perhaps
the following information would be of use to you.

If you want the documents, let me know off-list.

The available alarm functions from IPS are summarized here.

   *   I/A Series system standard alarm functions:
      -   Process and System alarm systems
      -   Unparalleled routing capability
      -   Alarm display manager
      -   Alarm regeneration
      -   Alarm deadbands
      -   Process variable filtering
   *   Standard optional alarm functions:
      -   Alarm Shelving Tool - operator temporarily inhibits alarm
             messaging
      -   AlarmsOnline - replace alarm printer or use as an
             additional software emulation
      -   Condition Monitoring - real-time rule-based condition
             monitoring analysis and notification
      -   FoxCTS - change tracking software
      -   FoxPage - trigger pages using the Event Driven Scripts
             mechanism
      -   LogMate AMS - TiPS software for optimizing alarm system
             performance
      -   Message Manager - manage system's response to alarms =

             and process changes
      -   PlantState Suite - PAS software for optimizing alarm =

             system performance
      -   Sequence of Events - facilitates analysis of plant =

             behavior after a fault
   *   Custom optional alarm functions:
      -   Advanced alarming - techniques configured in control modules
   *   Our alarm management services:
      -   Alarm system benchmarking studies
      -   Alarm system philosophy
      -   Alarm system rationalization workshops
      -   Alarm system implementation
      -   Alarm system lifecycle maintenance
      -   Alarm system training

Invensys has a state-of-the-art alarm shelving tool. Shelving is a
facility where the operator is able to temporarily prevent an alarm from
being displayed when it is causing a nuisance. Shelving improves the
usability of the alarm system by allowing an operator to eliminate the
distraction from alarms that are known to have no operational relevance.
A shelved alarm is removed from the displayed alarm list and will not
re-annunciate until un-shelved either by the operator or a shelving
timer.  All shelved alarms are available to the operator in a I/A Series
summary list showing shelved time remaining. The implementation if fully
fault-tolerant.

In the area of intelligent alarming, we have recently released the
Message Manager. Working with V8.x control stations, the MsgMgr
provides:

   *   Simplified alarm destination configuration
   *   Highly reliable alarm message delivery to historian archives,
          printers, workstations, or the I/A Series Alarm Manager
   *   Full alarm state recovery from the controllers
   *   Protection against an "alarm shower"/"alarm flood" by forwarding
          only the higher priority alarms to their destinations.
   *   Support for user specified actions upon receipt of
      o   Alarms
      o   Events
      o   Changes in process modes
   *   A built-in configurator for configuring the desired actions.
       include:
      o   Automatically running user-supplied programs
      o   Automatically reprioritizing alarms
      o   Automatically adjusting control parameter values

There are two general approaches to alarm flood control - Message
Manager and control block configuration. The Message Manager is
available for V8.x systems using CP270s. As mentioned above, the Message
Manager offers a rule based configuration.

Additionally, some clients - particularly those with older Control
Stations use the control block techniques in all control stations.
Advanced alarming techniques using control block configuration are
extremely robust and reliable since they are built within the
fault-tolerant control modules of the I/A Series system. The typical
techniques utilized are as follows:

   *   Grouped alarm
   *   Redundant voted alarms
   *   Eclipsing alarms
   *   Equipment out-of-service alarms
   *   State based alarms
   *   Event based alarms
   *   Equipment under test
   *   Pattern recognition

Offline tools for managing the alarm system are PlantState Suite and
LogMate AMS.

Alarm rationalization results can be documented in the offline
PlantState Suite software.

Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this electronic message and any attachment(s) =
to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) and =
may contain confidential, privileged or proprietary information. If you are=
 not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete a=
ll copies of this message and any attachment(s). Any other use of the E-Mai=
l by you is prohibited.